This is an exciting time as medicine now offers us many choices in both traditional and non-traditional medicine to keep us young and feeling outstanding. From treating weight issues, energy, insomnia, libido, controlling blood sugar levels, balancing hormones and blood pressure to name a few, we have many choices to choose from for our treatments. Since there are so many choices many questions arise such as: What is the catch? Where do you go? With who? What is the proper protocol? What is the expertise of the practitioner? These are all important questions that you must ask before making the choice of whom to see to repair what ails you.
It is fortunate that there are many choices available in choosing different practitioners and treatment plans, but unfortunately many of these choices can have repercussions if the right choice is not made so – BUYERS BE AWARE. When dealing with hormones, vitamins, minerals, detox, adrenals and thyroid they all fall under the “Functional Medicine” umbrella. Practitioners who are board certified in Functional Medicine, are specialized, highly trained, and abide by strict guidelines. These guidelines are there to protect YOU. Board Certified Functional Medicine Practitioners practice according the latest scientific research of why, and how a compound works, to whom they should prescribe to and what to expect (positive or negative) side effects and which treatments may offer you the best outcome to improve your overall health and wellness.
When picking a practitioner for Hormone Therapy these are some items that should raise an alarm:
• The practitioner is not board certified in Functional Medicine
• NO LABORATORY evaluation is needed before and after the treatment
• Laboratories ONLY check for one specific item such as testosterone and not an entire evaluation
• Medication prescribed is not personalized for you- the same dose given to everyone
• Less than 10 years of experience
• Receiving only ONE hormone instead of balancing what you need; for example, a woman only receiving testosterone may create further imbalance as it is necessary to balance the three hormones that are needed- estrogen, progesterone and testosterone
• Practitioner doing hormone replacement part time or on the side
What a great era we live in by having access to Functional Medicine that focuses on the optimization of health rather than choosing traditional medicine that is simply reactive to illness. But as with everything in life, do not base your decision on advertising, discounted pricing or simply the town in which they practice, instead do your due diligence and do your homework on whom to choose. The Functional Medicine approach to your health could be the best decision you can make if you are in the right hands.
Call us today and schedule your free consultation at 954.384.8989. Dr. Jean-Claude Nerette practices Functional Medicine and is Board Certified in both Internal Medicine and Anti-Aging & Regenerative Medicine and Stephanie Muniz Nerette is a Board Certified Nurse Practitioner and a Diplomate to the Board of Anti-Aging Medicine. Bellissimo Medical is located at 2665 Executive Park Drive, Suite #3, in Weston. www.BellissimoMedical.com